Thursday, December 1, 2016

The Gift & The Curse

It's become tradition that every year on my birthday (today) I release a free project as a thank you to the people that support and enjoy my work.

Well that's not happening this year.
At least not yet.

*Concept Art for upcoming book

For the past few years I've been struggling with somethings that, for the most part, I tried to ignore or downplay. However, in the last year it's become very apparent that I have to face these issues head on if I'm to pursue the life and goals I want to.

The biggest problem I've been facing is overcoming major depression. Which sounds really weird to say out loud or put into written words, but that's just what it is. Most of my time spent struggling with this issue has been spent acting like it didn't exist. The stigma with depression is that it's not a real problem or it is something you have to or should deal with by yourself.

For a long time I thought the things that were bothering me weren't real problems but rather I was just feeling sorry for myself and that I should suck it up and tough it out. I mean, that's what men do, right?

Wrong. Bottling up my worries and frustration and tossing them to the side, pretending they didn't exist was a great temporary solution, but you can't run forever. And when I found myself too tired to keep running I realized ignoring all my problems was sabotaging my personal relationships, my academics, my dreams, etc.

On my darkest days I was ready to give it all up. When you find yourself at a place where you are willing to throw your life away you gain a very unique perspective on yourself and life. It's here that I found something inside of me that refuses to quit. And even if it's only an ember, then so be it. May it grow into wildfire.

I fought seeking help with my depression for years and when I finally did do something about it I felt weightless, at least for a moment. A lot of people quickly took to my corner to help me out. Which was both surprising and heartwarming. To those people I am eternally grateful; to feel like I wasn't fighting alone felt like such a relief. Maya Angelou once said:

 "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
I couldn't agree more and it's that very notion that inspired the next project I will bring to you. Despite being in this ongoing battle, I am still dedicated to releasing a new book. Unfortunately it isn't quite ready yet. But I haven't come empty handed. Below is a little taste of what's to come and what you can expect when my next project officially releases.

Until then, I wish everyone the best! Take care. 


Just Beyond Existence is a fine-art book that examines the startling nature of depression. Vivid imagery and captivating writing come together to weave a complex tale of desperation, survival at any costs, and overcoming one's greatest enemy: themselves. Including all new photography, poetry, video, and 3D work. Coming in 2017

 
Copyright © The New School of Athens | Designed by Pinkly Templates