Thursday, November 20, 2014

Welcome to the Jungle












The time has finally come... well almost. As of typing this Sight Unseen is finally finished aside from a few minor details. But before revealing the release date I feel as if I should provide a few more details about what this project really is, as I've tried to keep it mostly secret during production.

“The artist has to make the viewer understand that his world is too narrow, he has to open up to new perspectives.” - Antoni Tapies
Sight Unseen kind of came out of nowhere. It's the result of my perception of all the on-going political and social crises; economic uncertainty, social unrest and violence, political lies and corruption are largely thematic in this work. Over the past few years I've tried to inject myself into the goings-on in, not only the US, but the whole world. In this work, more-so than anything I've produced before, my thoughts and concerns with modern events are presented. I've welded my perspective with my art in ways that are totally new to me. Sight Unseen features all new photographs, writings, and even original graphic design work. As a contemporary artist I feel it's vital to produce work that is not only self-reflective but pays tribute to all the inspiring artists that have helped pave the road I'm traveling down; needless to say there are lots of subtle, not so subtle, references to some of my favorite artists, living or not. 

On a more comprehensive level, Sight Unseen is about shifting perspectives. The work asks demands its viewers pay close attention to not just the pieces but the world around them also. In a world dominated by fear-inducing headlines, misinformation, and in some cases straight-up lies, its important that we all take the information with an air of skepticism. How often do we fact check our sources? For most of us it's never. Sight Unseen is all about paying attention. The work is so multifaceted that it's almost impossible to take in with just a quick glance. 

Go beyond what's presented right in front of you and you just might find something you didn't even know you were looking for. 

Now for that release date. Play the video below and discover when you can get your hands on Sight Unseen (which is totally free by the way).

 
Copyright © The New School of Athens | Designed by Pinkly Templates